Thursday, January 10, 2008

History Isn't Always Pretty

We've started to move into an ugly part of our history: slavery. Students are often shocked at many of the details that we discuss. I can see in their faces during some of our discussions that they cannot fathom being a part of a society that would endorse slavery as an institution. Already students have asked intriguing questions that prove to me that they are very much interested in finding out more. Remember, there will be a test over the 50 states on Tuesday, the 15th.

In Language Arts, we are writing our New Year's Resolutions essays. The introductions that I saw thus far were dynamite. I couldn't ask for better! I was very impressed by students' creativity as they searched for ways to draw in the reader. I can't wait to read the essays in their entirety.

Friday, we will be sending home information about our Chicago trip. It is important that we receive these back by the middle of next week. Have a wonderful weekend.

No comments: